Bean Soup is a traditional dish in Bulgarian cuisine which is very delicious and easy to prepare. Although traditionally served on Christmas Eve together with other vegetarian dishes, it is also prepared during the rest of the year. It is very important that the beans are good, not too old, and for them to soak in water for a few hours, after which they must be drained.
1. Soak the beans in cold water and leave it to grow in size. Remove the water after a few hours.
2. Finely chop the onion.
3. Chop the carrots in cubes.
4. Chop the tomatoes as well.
5. Boil the beans with the onion.
6. Add the carrots.
7. Add a dried or a fresh pepper.
8. Finally add the tomatoes.
9. Spice with salt, savory and mint.
10. Add some sunflower oil.
11. Dust with fine chopped parsley.
12. Stir and leave the pot to boil for at least an hour, until the beans become soft.